Derry City Women

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

Derry City Women

Post by TenaciousDee »

This Sunday 3pm at The Brandywell the Women's team start their league season with a game v Lisburn Rangers. Drive 105MNL are hoping to raise more awareness to the side during our coverage. Yesterday I interviewed their new midfielder, Chelsea Sheerin about Sunday's match. Interview is here on YouTube https://youtu.be/ipAqkXjyVcQ?si=E4MUEFs1jM6Db5IJ

I also spoke to the Manager Paul Dixon too and that interview goes out during tomorrow's coverage of the Galway game.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City Women

Post by Nige92 »

Dee, do you have any idea what the level of turnover is in the women's team? The squad photo shows 20 players including about 10 new players. Is it that many or more?

They finished the season in relatively decent form. It'd be great to see them go well this year. With women's football and sport on the rise, it would be great to see Derry as one of the leading teams in the women's Irish league.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

They brought in 11 new players this season, some of them are seen as "future stars", including Rhianna Ferris who signed on Tuesday night. Exiting, I don't know the number. They will find it tough. The main aim is to stay in the division first of all and then privately (I am told) they have a position in mind they want to achieve but are not declaring it. That way it doesn't put the team under pressure.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

It was a good match today. Beat 2-1 but there was a very good crowd, Derry scored a belter and their keeper pulled off a tremendous save on the line during the second half.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:42 pm It was a good match today. Beat 2-1 but there was a very good crowd, Derry scored a belter and their keeper pulled off a tremendous save on the line during the second half.
It was an entertaining match. Was impressed by the crowd myself - it's basically the same numbers that you see at a Stute (men's) home game.

I'll be back again.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

stevebradley wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:15 pm it's basically the same numbers that you see at a Stute (men's) home game.

I'll be back again.
Funny I said the same to someone earlier. It was the right decision to move games from midweek. Sunday matches may benefit the team but there are a few Fridays at home that could be detrimental.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

https://youtu.be/Z_j5pasxJd4?si=caNeUC4yX8tqz9LF

This interview went out on air on Friday night. John Hegarty, DCFCW Chairman discussing the commercial ventures to attract the people of the city to attend Women's games and the hope that day/night switch from a Wednesday married with new TV exposure will assist that quest.