Derry City v Dundalk Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Marty
First Team
First Team

Re: Derry City v Dundalk Match Thread

Post by Marty »

Got the Lafferty bit in anyway Dee.

This game reminded me of the time McHugh got sent off on purpose to cost us the league, great to see Fats and Duffy tonight know what side their bread is buttered.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

mokendismucker wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:47 am A win against Dundalk in the Brandywell is long overdue. A win on Sunday could change the temperature of our season. What we know for sure though is that if it doesn’t happen this time as an undertone said ‘it’s goinna happen’………..
Let it never be so long again. The sun is rising. RAWA.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:52 am I stick to my pre-season prediction, that I will remind the overzealous who are making jokes at me such as Marco and Brandyball, anything above 5th is a miracle.
A few things. When a manager is sacked after 6 games with 2 points I think it's fair to say all pre-season predictions go out the window. As for those 'making jokes' at your expense I think that's called friendly banter. You stated that some fans were getting 'carried away after 2 results'. You don't amass 32 extra league points (29 points when you made the comment) from 2 good results. Its been a sustained and impressive upturn in our results since Higgins took over and its salvaged what was a wreck of a season. So let fans be fans. Let them look at the table, make their 'what if' calculations and dream. Isn't that what its all about being a fan?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:22 am
TenaciousDee wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:52 am I stick to my pre-season prediction, that I will remind the overzealous who are making jokes at me such as Marco and Brandyball, anything above 5th is a miracle.
A few things. When a manager is sacked after 6 games with 2 points I think it's fair to say all pre-season predictions go out the window. As for those 'making jokes' at your expense I think that's called friendly banter. You stated that some fans were getting 'carried away after 2 results'. You don't amass 32 extra league points (29 points when you made the comment) from 2 good results. Its been a sustained and impressive upturn in our results since Higgins took over and its salvaged what was a wreck of a season. So let fans be fans. Let them look at the table, make their 'what if' calculations and dream. Isn't that what its all about being a fan?
What he said. I stick by my over zealous prediction when Higgins was appointed I would be happy if we avoid relegation .

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:15 am
What he said. I stick by my over zealous prediction when Higgins was appointed I would be happy if we avoid relegation .
And that's all we wanted. To avoid relegation. Our expectations were so low back then. We were broken and lost all hope.

Adam Quigley

Post by Adam Quigley »

Dundalk journalist seems really bitter here https://twistedwave.com/audio_files/513 ... a2e75c8543

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Adam Quigley wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:06 pm Dundalk journalist seems really bitter here https://twistedwave.com/audio_files/513 ... a2e75c8543
Bitter and Twisted.

pgdcfc

Post by pgdcfc »

Getting back to the pitch. Another reason to get back to grass for me. If, in a season or 2 (hopefully) we qualify and do well initially in Europe, at some stage maybe very early, we would have to play elsewhere because of the pitch, e, g. Dundalk. Do we really want to go ground hunting again. Last time it was 90 mile to Sligo........For OUR Home game !!!!!

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Feels good to beat them after a long winless streak. Could we take Duffy and patching of their hands next please :D

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

brandyball wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:15 am
First of all I take it as banter, and certainly not personal. Yes, the club is on an upswing and yes, on the pitch we are playing much better football as we have progressed.

Following the Longford and Drogheda games I started to receive and read messages, tweets and posts here that were way over the top. "Derry will be in he top 3" being the main one. A few weeks earlier people were on the phone to the Samaritians after we were thumped by Rovers and beaten by 10 man Pats. Brandyball, you were moaning about the fact that we couldn't beat 9 men at Drogheda and 2 weeks later you are at another extreme in the emotional spectre. Football is thickle and people react in the moment. One or two losses and this forum will have a thread of 5 pages of angry posts wanting players and management held accountable or thrown out. The last few weeks people have gotten too excited over beating Longford whilst playing poor and a dreadful Drogheda team who are sinking to the playoff spot rapidly.

Sligo at present are on a winless streak of 6 in all competitions. Their season has hit a wall since the Europa Conference League defeat and they will eventually fall out of the top 3, but it is more likely that Bohs will claim a spot with Rovers and Pats. It is a great time to play them and hopefully we get another win there.
Adam Quigley wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:06 pm Dundalk journalist seems really bitter here https://twistedwave.com/audio_files/513 ... a2e75c8543
Adam that is Gerry Malone. He used to present the Dundalk/sports coverage on a community station called Dundalk FM. He finished the programme a few years back but still does the odd bit here and there. He is a character. One time he interviewed Kenny Shiels and he asked several times was he serious. He thought he was being pranked. More notably, some may remember the video capture last year of an anti-Covid gathering at a beach and some of the participants being confronted by a passer by. That was him.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

I take it you mean the Cup match away. I wasn't the only person who mentioned our inability to beat 9 men,including yourself. Since that game we strengthened the team although failing to sign a new keeper for £5k. Still will be pleased if we stay up this season. Bye the way Dee Happy belated 50th. :lol:

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Fair play to Higgins i think he handled that interview with Gerry Malone very well.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

brandyball wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:22 pm I take it you mean the Cup match away. I wasn't the only person who mentioned our inability to beat 9 men,including yourself. Since that game we strengthened the team although failing to sign a new keeper for £5k. Still will be pleased if we stay up this season. Bye the way Dee Happy belated 50th. :lol:
I commented that we should have been more annoyed at how we played against the 11 men, not the 9. It is harder ometines to break a team down when reduced to 10 or 9 men because with 11 they have a plan of attack practiced on the training pitch days before the game. If a defender is sent off, or a keeper, an attacker is sacrificed. Then the objective is to not concede. When Drogs went to 9 the game plan was clearly that. Derry enjoyed possession but the 9 men went zonal and crowded the penalty area, reducing us to scraps. With 11 v 11, we conceded a dreadful goal and couldn't hit a barn door until Massey got in the way of the shot on the line.

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

pgdcfc wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:11 pm Getting back to the pitch. Another reason to get back to grass for me. If, in a season or 2 (hopefully) we qualify and do well initially in Europe, at some stage maybe very early, we would have to play elsewhere because of the pitch, e, g. Dundalk. Do we really want to go ground hunting again. Last time it was 90 mile to Sligo........For OUR Home game !!!!!
The plastic pitch has nothing to do with having to leave the Brandywell to play matches in Europe, it's all down to the facilities at hand etc & UEFA categorising stadiums. The further you go in Europe you need a higher category stadium to host the game.

Larne were able to play all 3 of their European home games this summer at Inver Park & they have a plastic pitch.

Young Boys in Switzerland have hosted group stage matches in the Europa League with their plastic pitch as have CSKA Moscow at the Luzniki Stadium which has been converted to grass since 2018 World Cup.

Dundalk using Tallaght or the AVIVA instead of Oriel is because they are Category 4 & Category 5 stadiums; Oriel, like the Brandywell is only a category 1 or 2 stadium

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

dcfc_jp_1989 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:44 am
pgdcfc wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:11 pm Getting back to the pitch. Another reason to get back to grass for me. If, in a season or 2 (hopefully) we qualify and do well initially in Europe, at some stage maybe very early, we would have to play elsewhere because of the pitch, e, g. Dundalk. Do we really want to go ground hunting again. Last time it was 90 mile to Sligo........For OUR Home game !!!!!
The plastic pitch has nothing to do with having to leave the Brandywell to play matches in Europe, it's all down to the facilities at hand etc & UEFA categorising stadiums. The further you go in Europe you need a higher category stadium to host the game.

Larne were able to play all 3 of their European home games this summer at Inver Park & they have a plastic pitch.

Young Boys in Switzerland have hosted group stage matches in the Europa League with their plastic pitch as have CSKA Moscow at the Luzniki Stadium which has been converted to grass since 2018 World Cup.

Dundalk using Tallaght or the AVIVA instead of Oriel is because they are Category 4 & Category 5 stadiums; Oriel, like the Brandywell is only a category 1 or 2 stadium
Pretty sure we were playing out of Maginn park that year. Nothing to do with the plastic pitch. Getting our slice of the pie to finish the Brandywell development is were our focus should be.

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

mokendismucker wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:14 am
dcfc_jp_1989 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:44 am

Pretty sure we were playing out of Maginn park that year. Nothing to do with the plastic pitch. Getting our slice of the pie to finish the Brandywell development is were our focus should be.
Yeah we were & the following season we played Dinamo Minsk in the Brandywell on that pitch. Finishing the development would be nice to see however I think even at that we would be still required at some point to find a suitable venue if we went on the kind of run Dundalk & Bohs went on this season